Chicken Liver “Butter”
- Yield: 8 appetizer portions 1x
Although titled “butter”, don’t let that word fool you. This is very much a spreadable pâté, yet, with the addition of real butter into it, it will be a lighter, fluffier spread.
Always remember to take the spread out of the fridge and allow to warm a bit before serving. Perfect with cooked eggs, some capers, and minced red onion!
2 Tbsp. (30 grams) Kosher Salt, plus more if needed
2 c. (480 ml.) Water
1 lb. (450 grams) Chicken Livers, veins and connective tissue removed
Freshly Ground Black Pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1/2 c. (110 grams) Onion, finely sliced
1/4 (60 ml.) Brandy
1 lb. (450 grams) Unsalted Butter, at room temperature
To Prep the Livers:
1. Dissolve salt in the water in a bowl.
2. Place cleaned livers into bowl and place in the refrigerator to soak overnight (or a min. of 4 hours at the very least.)
3. Remove soaked livers and pat dry.
4. Season with salt and pepper
To Prepare the Spread:
1. Sear livers in an oiled sauté pan over medium-high heat, about a minute on each side.
2. Add in the onions and continue to cook until the livers are fully cooked. Onions should be soft.
3. Add brandy and reduce to a syrup. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
1. Puree liver, onion, and reduced syrup in a food processer until smooth.
2. Add softened, room temperature butter into processor in three stages, ensuring to scrap the sides down with each addition.
3. Puree until mixture is light in color and butter is fully incorporated.
Final step (this is key)
1. Run mixture through a tamis or fine mesh strainer.
2. Place final spread into a mold OR simply add into a dish that has a tight fitting lid, chill in refrigerator.
3. Best served the next day.
The use of vegetable oil for frying is important here as it won’t impart a flavor on the chicken livers. This ensures the flavor profile stays consistent with chicken livers.
Ensure the livers have all the veins and connective tissue removed.
Always run the puree through a tamis or fine mesh strainer.
This excerpt was taken from Pâté, Confit, Rillette, Brian Polcyn with Michael Ruhlman
To purchase the book, click the title above!
Keywords: butter, chicken, liver, spread,