These dumplings can be used in soups, stews, or as a side to other yummy dishes! A super versatile addition to any recipe!
You can add in garlic, a quarter cup of parmesan cheese, parsley, chives, or any other herbs you’d like to make these dumplings more flavorful depending on what dish it will accompany! Go ahead, get creative!
1 1/2 cups Flour; sifted
2 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Salt
3 Tbsp. Shortening; lard, tallow, or butter will work
3/4 cup Milk
To Prepare the Dough:
- Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Stir in the milk until just combined.
- Drop dough by the spoonful into pot overtop of the meat stock (not into straight liquid.)
- Cook 10 minutes uncovered and them another 10 minutes covered with tightly fitted lid.
- Remove dumplings first, set aside.
- Ladle stew or soup into bowls then place dumplings on top.
Recipe comes from the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook and can be purchased here: get book.