How to Prepare Kidneys
Never prepared kidneys before? Here are some ways on how you can! Here’s a hint: the key is to soak them!
Kidney, any animal organ will suffice
- Wash and remove the outer membrane.
- Split through the center lengthwise, remove fat and white tissue.
- Soak in cold salted water for 45 min.
- Precook beef kidney 1 hr. and pork kidney 20 min.
- Split open, brush with melted butter.
- Broil 10-15 min. depending on size.
- Turn once.
- Season and sprinkle with lemon juice or a bit of mustard.
- Serve on buttered toast.
- Dip into egg.
- Roll in crumbs and pan-fry for 15 min. in hot fat.
Slice into “steak” sizes, bread and fry. Liver and kidney benefit from soaking for a half hour or so as you would fish: in milk, lemon juice, or salt water.
Source of B12, riboflavin, selenium, iron, copper, zinc, phosphorus, as well as healthy amounts of B6, folate and niacin.
This recipe is brought to you from Baker’s Green Acres’ very own Jill Baker