This recipe demonstrates that healthy eating can be simple and fun, organ meats need not be intimidating, and teaching children the value of nutritious, nose-to-tail eating can be fun and valuable family activity.
- Yield: 12 Soft Tacos, plus leftover tongue 1x
For Preparing The Tongue
1 Beef Tongue, about 2lbs.
1 Large White Onion, cut into wedges
10 Cloves of Garlic, smashed with the side of a knife
2 tsp. Dried Oregano Leaves
2 Tbsp. Ghee or Unsalted Grass-fed Butter
Fine Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper
For The Pickled Onions & Radishes
2 Bunches Radishes, thinly sliced
1 White Onion, thinly sliced
3/4 c. Apple Cider Vinegar
2 Tbsp. Honey, preferably raw
4 tsp. Fine Sea Salt
1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
12 (6-inch) Tortillas
6 c. Shredded Lettuce
6 oz. Cotija Cheese, or cheese of choice, crumbled or shredded
3 Hass Avocados, sliced
3 Limes, cut into wedges
To Prepare the Pickled Radishes & Onions
Put all the ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Let sit on the counter for at least 1 hour before serving
To Prepare the Tongue
1) Put the onion wedges, garlic, tongue, and oregano in a 6-quart slow cooker and cover with boiling water. Set the slow cooker to low and cook until the tongue is tender and easily pierced with a fork, 6 to 8 hours.
2) Remove the tongue from the slow cooker and let cool for about 15 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
3) When the tongue is cool to the touch, use a sharp knife to make a slice across the base of the tongue (the wider end) then peel off the thick outer layer of skin. Cut the tongue into 1/2-ince dice.
4) Heat the ghee in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tongue and season with salt and pepper. Sauté until browned and nicely seared.
Divide the diced tongue among the tortillas and top with the pickled radishes and onions, shredded lettuce, cheese, and avocado. Serve with lime wedges and enjoy!
Both the tongue and pickled radishes & onions will keep in the fridge for up to a week.
Recipe is an excerpt from It Takes Guts by Ashleigh Vanhoute and can be purchased here.